College visits and fairs – Why you need to attend
Who better to learn about a college than from a college representative? There are two ways to meet representatives from colleges:
- College visits to your school
- College fairs in your area
Check your school calendar for dates/times of college visits. Mark these on your calendar. Research the college before you go into meet. Have 5 questions to ask the college representative.
Check for college fairs in your area. There are several different types of fairs. These fairs often have representatives from hundreds of colleges attending. You have the opportunity to explore lots of colleges in one place.Some of the most popular fairs are:
- NACAC college fairs. These occur both in the spring and the fall. Register here to attend.
- Colleges That Change Lives. Great way to learn about small liberal arts colleges (based on the book Colleges That Change Lives.)
Be sure to ask your counselor about other college fairs in your area. Plan to attend and invite your parents. They have questions too! Have the same 5 questions from college visits ready to ask the college fair college admissions representatives.
You may be interested in some special programs. They have fairs too!
- Performing & Visual Arts college fairs. For the budding artist, dancer, musician or others with an artistic flair.
- Gap year programs fair. Ever thought about taking time to do something else between high school and college? That is what gap years are all about. Find out what is available at a gap year fair.
NACAC (National Association for College Admissions Counseling) offers lots of tips for how to make best use of college visits or college fairs.