MIAMI-DADE COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS TOP TEN INNOVATIONS FOR 2014-15
Miami-Dade County Public Schools is offering exciting new innovations that will make the school year interesting, more relevant, and more productive for students, parents and educators. “We are exploring every possibility of making access to our world class educational system easier for parents and students, through the use of technology and innovation,” said Superintendent Alberto M. Carvalho.
Here are the school district’s top ten developments:
- Digital convergence – Educational technology brings learning into the 21st century with interactive boards, tablets, laptops, and wi-fi in all schools. http://digital.dadeschools.net/
- Students are being encouraged to “Bring Your Own Device” (BYOD) for the first time, to help them transition into the digital learning environment using their own electronic device.http://wifi.dadeschools.net/
- Fifty-two new magnet programs will offer students a world of choices, including iTech at Thomas A. Edison Education Center, Biotech@Richmond Heights (a Zoo magnet high school), and more than 80 Cambridge programs that have been added in just three years.http://www.yourchoicemiami.org/
- The Dadeschools Mobile App, available for iPhone and Android, will give parents and students detailed information about class schedules and bus assignments, with many more information sources to be added.http://news.dadeschools.net/releases/rls14/024_mobile.html
- Success coaches will provide every child a school advocate to help identify strengths and weaknesses.
- The District will collaborate with local technology industries to provide training, internships,and job opportunities for students with autism. http://ese.dadeschools.net/
- UHealth Medical Center at Jackson Senior High School – Miami-Dade County Public Schools partnered with UHealth-University of Miami Health System to provide a medical home for M-DCPS employees, their dependents and retirees who are enrolled in the school system’s insurance plan. http://news.dadeschools.net/releases/rls14/023_uhealth.html
- Wellness coaches at every school will promote wellness activities among employees.
- The Florida Standards Assessment – Miami-Dade County Public Schools is on track to introduce the new Florida Standards to students. Teachers have received extensive professional development this year to meet the state’s requirements.http://floridastandards.dadeschools.net/
- Parents can now apply online for free- and reduced lunches for their children.https://freeandreducedmealapp.dadeschools.net/ The District’s colorful Food Truck will visit schools to introduce students to flavorful, healthy new meal choices. And there is free breakfast every day at every school for every student.”
For additional information on any of our programs, visit us online at www.dadeschools.net.
# # #