Music Business Summer Programs
Here are some ideas of excellent summer programs for high school students interested in combining music and/or business. This career is becoming more popular as students seek to get into the music business, not necessarily being musicians, but just interested in this industry…
– Wagner College in NY on Staten Island.
– “What Makes a Star” program at NYU’s Steinhardt School of Education; this is a music business summer institute for high school students. Here is the link for this program, http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/music/business/programs/summer/sta . NYU’s Steinhardt School has some good summer music programs for high school students, as offers residency. Other NYU high school programs are also available, but without dorm space, so it might be worth inquiring whether there are opportunities to combine the music program with other business-related classes.
– Berklee College of Music (music business, entertainment law, and music of course). http://www.berklee.edu/summer/5week.html
– Interlochen camps in Michigan; Northwestern
– www.EnrichmentAlley.com for summer enrichment programs.
– Drexel’s program (exploring the music industry)
– The EPGY Summer Institutes at Stanford University will offer a new music course in Summer 2010, which will be taught by a team of musicians including the St. Lawrence String Quartet, Stanford artists in residence. The course will run from June 20 through July 9. The course will be a multi-disciplinary mix of music theory, history, criticism, and performance. We also have a very popular Business course that is offered in both sessions of our program, so either June 20-July 9 or July 12-August 7. While our 2010 website is not yet up, check out our current site, which has a lot of information about our program generally: http://epgy.stanford.edu/summer The 2010 website will go up by the end of November.
– Belmont University in Nashville, but if not, it’s a great place for music business. Belmont College in Nashville has a great Business/Music program.