Tips to Ace the SAT
How can you ace the SAT? Here are 7 tips for you:
1. Test Day Checklist. Get a good night’s sleep before the test. Be sure you arrive at the SAT prepared with the right tools. See TEST DAY CHECKLIST. Be sure to bring a protein snack, a watch, and an approved calculator.
2. Consider Using Score Choice. Don’t list any colleges to send your scores to until you see the scores. You can send them to selected colleges later.
3. Guess. SAT has eliminated the ¼ pt for guessing and the fifth answer. Eliminate as many answers as possible, then make a calculated guess. It won’t hurt your score.
4. Brush up on Algebra 1 & 2. The SAT now emphasizes Algebra, with some Algebra 2 and Trigonometry. Not much Geometry. The math section includes many word based problems.
5. Pace Yourself. Remember you have three sections to do: Reading, Writing and Language, and Math. The essay is now at the end of the test. The test is 3 hours 50 minutes.
6. Prepare for Analytical Essay. The SAT essay is 50 minutes long, optional and focused on analyzing content. Gone is the persuasive essay. Prepare to support your analysis in your writing.
7. Relax. This is just a test. It shows your ability on this Saturday in March. It does not define the rest of your life. You will have a chance to retake it or take the ACT. You have been going to school for over 10 years. You know more than you realize.
Review your testing schedule and keep track of test registrations. Add your test dates to your testing schedule on your EduPlan student portal.